This time around, I would like to share a beautiful cover from The Philippines. If you are wondering why I've hidden my address, no worries. Its just that my camera is having problems and I had to get this image from my friend. LOL...
I love the fact that its registered and has clear CDS postmark. Moreover, it is franked with a high value p50 Philippine Eagle Stamp. I truly appreciate your effort to help me grow my Birds of Prey collection. Just can't thank you enough my dear friend.

I guess when it comes to Philippine philately, the biggest attraction for me would be the Philippine Eagle. The Philippine Eagle, Pithecophaga jefferyi, also known as the Great Philippine Eagle or Monkey-eating Eagle, is among the tallest, rarest, largest, and most powerful birds in the world. A bird of prey belonging to the family Accipitridae, it is also known as "Haribon" or "Haring Ibon," which means "Bird King". Its local name is banog.

A little info one of my favorite Birds of Prey:

The species was discovered in 1896 by the English explorer and naturalist John Whitehead, who observed the bird and whose servant, Juan, collected the first specimen a few weeks later.The skin of the bird was sent to William Robert Ogilvie-Grant in London in 1896, who initially showed it off in a local restaurant and described the species a few weeks later.

Upon its discovery, the Philippine Eagle was first called the monkey-eating eagle because of reports from natives of Bonga, Samar where the species was first discovered that it preyed exclusively on monkeys; from these reports it gained its generic name, from the Greek pithecus ("ape or monkey") and phagus ("eater of"). The specific name commemorates Jeffery Whitehead, the father of John Whitehead. Later studies revealed, however, that the alleged monkey-eating eagle also ate other animals such as colugo, civets, large snakes, monitor lizards, and even large birds like hornbills. This, coupled with the fact that the same name applied to the African Crowned Eagle and the South American Harpy Eagle, resulted in a presidential proclamation to change its name to Philippine Eagle in 1978, and in 1995 was declared a national emblem. This species has no recognized subspecies.

The Philippine Eagle was named the national bird of the Philippines in 1995 by President Fidel V. Ramos under Proclamation No. 615.This eagle, because of its size and rarity, is also a highly desired bird for birdwatchers.


1 comments:

Bradpetehoops said...

Very nice information about our national bird (Philippines).